Feb 20, 2011

Hollis Done Smith 1922-2011



My Grandfather died January 30, 2011 at the age of 88 due to complications related to a fall in his home. His father died when he was only an infant and he and his brother and sister were raised by their mother and grandparents. He is one of the Smiths from Smithfield Utah and we spent a few family reunions camping in the woods up there. I remember my Grandpa walking us along the creek where he used to play, the fields where he used to work with his Grandfather and to an old barn falling over that belonged to him. They were very poor and worked terribly hard for many years, but because of this hard work they were eventually blessed with enough money for his mother to purchase a large home in Smithfield. She moved her parents in with them to thank them for all the help they had given her with her little family. The family was always very self reliant and she kept a large garden in their back yard and worked for many years at the local post office. There were times of plenty and times with very little but they made it through and she raised a fine family. My grandpa served in the Navy during WWII and after served as a missionary in the North Eastern parts of Texas, the same area where my parents later settled and I was raised. One of my brothers married the granddaughter of a man that had helped house Grandpa Hollis while he was serving there and they named their first son Hollis after him. After his mission he married my very beautiful and accomplished grandmother Florence. Together they had eight children which they raised in the Salt Lake valley. My Grandpa worked for Union Pacific Railroad most of his life and my own father for a little while. I still smile whenever I see the UP symbol. My grandpa was very tall and always spoke softly and with kindness. He had an easy smile and a quiet peace about him. He was a hard worker and always serving others. He loved spending time with his family and always enjoyed a family musical concert. Grandpa is very loved by all the family and will be greatly missed.

No comments: