Apr 20, 2014

Lynn Hollis Smith

My father passed away suddenly just before Christmas 2013.  It has been four months now.  It is still hard to believe and it has been so hard to accept that I haven't even wanted to record it or write about it.  Seeing it in print makes it real.  He was not ill and we had no warning.  The family, EMTs and hospital staff worked valiantly to save him but it was not to be.  It was his time, as they say.  I didn't like this New Year's holiday.  I felt I was leaving my dad behind.  I felt like I was being forced to move on and I wasn't ready.  I feel less protected, more vulnerable and alone with my dad gone.  I know he still lives, but we are morning the time we thought we were still going to have with him here.  Each of his children spoke at the funeral along with our mother.  It was a beautiful experience to have such an outpouring of support and love from the community and friends and those who loved my Dad.  All of his siblings came along with several of our cousins, none of which live nearby.  It really touched my heart.  I learned of so many times he had helped others that we never knew about.  My father touched many lives not just through his work and talents but through humble service of his fellow men.  He was greatly loved and it was beautiful to see that.   Here is what I shared at his funeral:

My father lived a life of Greatness:
Great Dreams
Great Strength
Great Energy
Great love of others
Great Intensity and Joy
and a Great servant of the Lord.
His life was an adventure and he took us all on that ride with him.
His energy and enthusiasm when he spoke about learning more, accomplishing more and being more would rub off on me.  He made life and possibilities seem limitless.  He is the reason I choose to go for it when I feel hesitant.  If you never try you have already failed.  Go for it and you will always come out ahead of where you were.
I have always seen him as 100% confident in himself.  If he didn't know how to do something, that didn't matter, he would simply learn how and then do it.  It always amazed me. 
My father was an entrepreneur.  Not to reach any specific goal but to have the freedom to follow his dreams.  His dreams were many, always evolving and always limitless.
He raised us to believe in ourselves, to honor our commitments, to love and serve others, to work hard and find the joy in it.  He taught us to live the Gospel and love the Lord, not only in his words but in how he lived his life.
My father had a great mind.  He loved to read and was always looking for more to learn.  He loved to share stories and discuss.  My favorite times with Dad were on our road trips.  I was able to have time with him and he loved to stop at museums and historical sites along the way.  He always made sure to read everything when we went and he would remember it all.  Then he would spend the next few hours teaching all of us about what we had just seen. 
My dad was a tease.  There were a lot of people who didn't get to see him this way but he loved it.  He would sometimes sneak up behind us and scare us and would tell outlandish stories as if they were true just to watch our reaction and then laugh.  Some of them I believed for years until I grew up and realized how impossible it was.  He loved to play and work with his family.
No matter how much he had, or didn't have, there was always enough to share with others. 
He was an artist, master carpenter and craftsman.  He was imaginative, always thinking and solving problems, designing and creating.  He loved the Lord, his family and his fellow man.
It is hard to let go of someone who is so much a part of you and of whom you have become, especially when you were expecting to have so much longer.  I know it is the Lord's will and everything is at it should be.  He is deeply loved.

Good bye, Daddy. 

His Obituary:
Lynn Hollis Smith, our beloved husband, son, father, grandfather, brother, family member and friend was suddenly called home on Thursday, December 19th 2013 due to natural causes. He was born August 16, 1951 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Florence (Clark) and Hollis Done Smith.
Lynn was a missionary and servant of the Lord as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He loved his work as an entrepreneur, salesman, inventor, and craftsman. His greatest joys came from his family, serving his fellow man, and working in the Temples of the Lord.
Lynn is survived by his wife, Darlene Smith of Gunter, Texas; nine children, Darell (Brent) Hoskisson, Brigham (Aimee) Smith, Adam (Minnie) Smith, Jerusha (Mike) Renstrom, Faith (Cody) Sample, Ammon (Christala) Smith, Dallin (Holly) Smith, Tiaura (Tyler) Renstrom and Jarom Smith; thirty grandchildren; mother, Florence Smith; seven siblings, Ron (Nancy) Smith, Mark (Wendy) Smith, Loretta (Jon) Shupe, Kyle (Jennifer) Smith, Rachelle Byrnes, Alison (Dean) Mirsoltani and Marilyn Donohue; numerous nieces and nephews.
Lynn is preceded in death by his father, Hollis Done Smith.
You are invited to join with us in honoring and celebrating his life: Funeral Services will be held at The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints, 1900 W. Lamberth Rd, Sherman, Texas 75092, on Monday, December 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM with Bishop Marty Little officiating. Interment will follow at Hall Cemetery in Howe, Texas. A visitation will be held prior to the service beginning at 9:30 AM. Family and friends are invited to a evening Visitation on Sunday, December 22, 2013 at Turrentine-Jackson-Morrow Funeral Home, 300 Pecan Street, Gunter, Texas 75058, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
     

No comments: